Flute 102 Mastering the Basics
Flute 102 Mastering the Basics
Patricia George & Phyllis Avidan Louke
Piano Accompaniment Phyllis Avidan Louke
Text by Patricia George & Phyllis Avidan Louke
- Flute 102: Mastering the Basics Flute Book
- Flute 102: Mastering the Basics Piano Accompaniments
For students approaching the intermediate skill level, George and Louke turn to the use of etudes, solo repertoire, and orchestral excerpts to build upon the lessons of their previous book, Flute 101: Mastering the Basics.
Underlying the method are practising and phrasing guides, invaluable for students and continued use thereafter. From the authors: “Each of the units of Flute 102: Mastering the Basics includes five separate lessons of exercises and repertoire in a major key, relative or parallel minor key, or dominant key.
The theoretical exercises feature scales, thirds, arpeggios and major/minor seventh chords, rhythm studies and etudes by Barret, Gariboldi, George, Louke, Soussmann, and Wohlfahrt. The Contemporary Techniques Solos at the end of the book may be used with any lesson to enrich the flautist’s study.”
- The Ash Grove, Welsh Folk Song
- The Campbells are Coming, Scottish Folk Song
- All Through the Night, Welsh Folk Song
- Rakes of Mallow, Irish Folk Song
- Bizet, Georges (1838-1875) Minuet from L’Arlesienne Suite No. 2
- Concone, Giuseppe (1801-1861) Andante Air with Variations
- Donjon, Johannes (1839-1912) Pan Pastorale
- Dvorak, Antonin (1841-1904) Humoreske, Op. 101, No. 7
- Gabriel-Marie, Jean (1852-1928) La Cinquantaine
- Gossec, Francois Joseph (1734-1829) Tambourin Gavotte
- Marcelo, Benedetto (1686-1739) Sonata in F Major
- Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus (1756-1791) Andante in C Major, KV 315
- Stamitz, Anton (1750-1809?) Caprice VIII for solo flute
- Telemann, Georg Philipp (1681-1767) Sonata in F Major Suite in A minor, Menuet 1 and 2 Suite in A Major, Passepied 1 and 2
- Verid, Giuseppe (1813-1901) La donne e mobile from Rigoletto
- Louke, Phyllis (b. 1954) and George, Thom Ritter (b. 1942) Contemporary Techniques Solos
- Kuhlau, Friedrich (1786-1832) Adagio from Duo No. 1, Op. 81
Phyllis Avidan Louke
Phyllis Avidan Louke (b. 1954) is an esteemed Altus Artist based in Portland, Oregon. She serves as Music Director of the Rose City Flute Choir, is the Principal flute with Tilikum Chamber Orchestra and Oregon Symphonic Band, and actively engages as a chamber musician, freelancing in the vibrant music scene of Portland.
With a rich background in teaching, Ms Louke was the flute instructor at Pacific University in Forest Grove, Oregon, from 2016 to 2020. Since 1992, she has also been providing private flute lessons and has been a valued adjudicator for Solo Festivals in Oregon, Washington, and Alaska. Her exceptional expertise has led to invitations as a sought-after flute clinician at national events and festivals across the USA.
Ms Louke’s passion for music extends beyond her performances and teaching. As a prolific composer and arranger, she has produced over 70 published works for flute ensembles. Additionally, her collaborative efforts with flautist Patricia George have resulted in a series of award-winning books, including Flute 101: Mastering the Basics and Advanced Flute Studies: The Art of Chunking.
Dedicated to the flute community, Ms Louke has played an integral role in the Greater Portland Flute Society (GPFS) since 1991. In her current position as Vice President, she continues to contribute to the society’s growth and outreach.
Phyllis Avidan Louke’s dedication to her craft and contributions to the world of flute performance, education, and composition have garnered her widespread recognition and admiration. Her compositions are published by esteemed companies including ALRY Publications, Theodore Presser Company, Falls House Press and Nourse Wind Publications.
Internationally acclaimed flautist and instructor, Patricia George, is celebrated worldwide for her performances and teaching. She conducts her esteemed Famous Flute Spa masterclasses at over 300 institutions, including universities, conservatories, public schools, and flute associations. As Editor of Flute Talk Magazine since January 2011, George contributes a monthly column titled ‘The Teacher’s Studio.” She is also a prolific writer for various music publications.
George’s performances have taken her across the United States, Europe, Russia, and the Middle East. With Trio Terra Nova (Flute, Bassoon, Piano), George has appeared at International Double Reed Conventions in Arizona, Wisconsin, and at the Centre for the Arts in Banff, Canada. Additionally, George presents over 90 concerts annually throughout the Intermountain West with the Amadeus Trio (Flute, Cello, Piano).
As a co-author, George has contributed to highly regarded books such as Flute 101: Mastering the Basics, Flute 102: Mastering the Basics, and The Flute Scale Book, published by Theodore Presser Company. Actively involved in the National Flute Association, she serves as Secretary of the Board of Directors and is part of the Flutist Quarterly Review Board.
George has been the esteemed flute professor at the Sewanee Summer Music Festival since 1998, mentoring students who have pursued studies at renowned institutions like Juilliard and the University of Southern California. She has previously taught at the Eastman School of Music Preparatory Department, Brigham Young University in Idaho, and Idaho State University, where she received the Faculty Achievement Award for Outstanding Service in 1996.
A Verne Q. Powell Artist, George holds a Bachelor of Music degree (with distinction) in Applied Flute and a Master of Music degree in Performance and Musical Practice from the Eastman School of the University of Rochester. Her experiments in flute acoustics have influenced various flute manufacturers.
Patricia George Website Link
If you have any queries, please call us on 020 7388 8438 (UK) or +44 (0)20 7388 8438 (International)
- We dispatch all sheet music within the UK via Royal Mail unless otherwise requested.
- We will endeavour to dispatch your order by return and availability of stock if received before 2.30 pm
- Stocked items may not always be immediately available. Click here to find out more.
- We use a secure courier service for overseas deliveries outside of the United Kingdom. Delivery charges will vary depending on the location and weight of the goods.